Friday, April 15, 2011

GETTING READY FOR EASTER






The week before Easter is quite busy around here with all the preparations. Today I began hand washing all of the vintage linens and tablecloths. Once a year I go through the ritual of taking them out of the cabinet and selecting the ones that I want to use. They must be washed in the tub and then hung out to line dry, I feel like Mrs. Tiggywinkle with all of the hand laundry! At the back of the cabinet I found a box marked with a card, it turned out to be my grandmother's wedding negligee from 1919. The fine fabric is embroidered in satin stitch and french knot and bordered with delicate lacework. It brought a smile to my face, as my mother saved everything and also wrote descriptions and notes with her treasures. It is amazing the fine needlework that was done a century ago. Tomorrow I will repack all of the newly discovered fabrics and then begin
the ironing.

No comments: